Ingredients in this recipe:
- 125 ml of milk
- 70 g of sugar
- 20 g of yeast
- 250 g of the wheat flour
- 100 g of butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 80 g of the poppy, 10 g of the sugar, 20 g of butter and 1 yolk to prepare the filling
- sweetened cream or sweet yoghurt for pouring over the knedle dumplings
- or fruit sauce instead of cream/yoghurt
- slices of fruits (blueberries, strawberries or similar)
takes 1 h
- Pour half a cup of the milk into the pot, add 1 teaspoonful of the sugar and heat gently on the cooker.
- Crush 20 g of yeast and mix with warm milk precisely.
- Next add 1 spoonful of the flour, mix and put away into the warm place under the cover.
- Prepare clean bowl and put the remaining flour into it.
- Pour 50 g of molten butter, a pinch of salt and almost entire remaining sugar into bowl. Mix with flour.
- Move this mass to the pot with milk and yeast.
- Break an egg into, and mix precisely.
- Knead dough with your hands, until you reach uniform consistency. Cover the dough with clean cloth and put back on 20 minutes.
- At that time let's deal with the filling which is trivial in preparation. Simply mix 80 g of the poppy with 10 g of the sugar, 20 g of butter and one yolk.
- After 20 minutes knedle dough should grow a little bit in the pot. Use it to shape balls about 3-4 cm in diameter.
- Stuff knedle dumplings with the filling by: flattening every ball individually, than putting the poppy filling in its center, and closing the poppy by gluing the dough alltogether. 1 tablespoon of the filling should fall to every one ball. When knedle is glued roll it a little bit in hands in order to grant it the uniform surface and shape again.
- Cover such raw knedle with dry and clean cloth and once more put it back on 20 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the pot with the lid and pour water into it so that the water is only 1-2 cm high. Add 30 g of butter, a pinch of salt and the entire sugar which remained from making pastry.
- Heat this water until boiling.
- Now, we put knedle into the pot. Cover it with a lid and slightly reduce heating.
- Cook knedle dumpling gently for 15 minutes.
- Lay cooked knedle on plates and pour with sweet yoghurt or the sweetened cream. Sprinkle with slices of fruits - bilberry, blueberries or strawberries are probably the best. It is possible to pour the fruit juice over knedle. You can also prepare fruit sauce by thickening fruit compote (e.g. bilberry compote) with potato starch.
I hope that you find this knedle dumplings recipe useful. Enjoy your meal! Smacznego! :)