Polish cheesecakes are delicious &ndahs; there's no need to convince anybody. In addition to traditional cheesecakes made of twarog cheese, there are some great recipes for cold cheesecakes ('sernik na zimno') which are basically made of cream cheese or twarog mixed with gelatin. You can also make cold cheesecake using good quality Italian mascarpone cheese.
Recipe below describes how to make one of these. Bottom of the cake is made of Digestive biscuit, what gives it extra flavor. Topping is made of jelly (strawberry, fruits of the forest, or any other you like). I do recommend adding some fresh fruits to the jelly (raspberry works great, as well as sliced strawberries or bilberries).
Ingredients in this recipe:
- 225 g (1 package) of digestive biscuits
- 100 g of butter
- 3 heaped teaspoons of powdered gelatine
- 300 ml of very cold double cream (30%)
- 5 heaped tablespoons of icing/powdered sugar
- 300-400 g of twarog cheese (Polish-style quark / farmer cheese)
- 1 powdered fruit jelly to make a topping
- optional: 1 white chocolate
- optional: 1 glass of fresh fruits (raspberries, sliced strawberries or bilberries)
takes 1 h of preparation + few hours cooling
- Use some butter to smear a circle-shaped cake tin with removable rim. Put plastic foil - a food wrap - inside.
- Grind twarog three or four times, until it forms a uniform fine-grained mass.
- Crush Digestive biscuits finely and mix them with previously melted, and still warm butter. Pour into the bottom of the form.
- Soak the gelatin in a few tablespoons of cold water.
- Whip double cream to medium stiffness, then add powdered sugar and whip to stiffness.
- Melt white chocolate in water bath: put the chocolate into the small pot, insert it in a larger pot filled with water and apply heat. You can also try to melt the chocolate in a microwave. Chocolate is an optional ingredient. You may not use it, but remember to add more sugar to the cheese, so that the cake is sweet enough.
- Now, when all ingredients are ready we let's start fun. Precisely mix whipped cream with grinded twarog. Add warm, melted white chocolate and mix. Use blender if it's too hard. The mass should be rather homogeneous.
- Add soaked gelatin to 50 ml (1/4 of glass) of boiling water, dissolve. Add this solution to cheesecake mass. Stir constantly.
- Pour the mass over crushed biscuits. Put cheesecake into refrigerator/fridge.
- Dissolve jello in boiling water, but use 1 cup of water less, then what the procedure on the packaging tells you. Put into refrigerator.
- When cheesecake mass sets place fresh fruits on its surface and pour jelly over. The trick is not to let both ingredients to mix - cheesecake mass should be set enough and, in the same time jelly shouldn't be warm any longer, but still in a liquid, pourable form.
- Cold cheesecake should stay in refrigerator overnight (at least few hours). Remove for 15 minutes before serving.
I hope that you find this unbaked cheesecake recipe useful. Enjoy your meal! Smacznego! :)