Although Polish cuisine seems to has an inclination towards time-consuming and laborious recipes, there are also some Polish foods that are both tasty and simple/fast to prepare. For example - the ogorkowa soup, or in other words: cucumber soup. Neither refined nor festive this Polish soup is quite ordinary and everyday, but very much liked and popular.
Ingredients in this recipe:
- 0.5 kg of meat or meat with bone
- 0.5 kg of vegetables (carrot, parsley, celery, leek) or wloszczyzna mix
- half medium onion
- spices (a few peppercorns, bay leaf, black pepper and salt to taste)
- 7-8 large pickled cucumbers
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of white flour
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 100 ml sour cream (or tart yoghurt)
- 3 medium potatoes
- At first we need to prepare a typical broth, so use meat and vegetables. Wash bones and meat thoroughly in hot water and put them into the pot. Pour six cups of cold water. Cook it on a strong fire under a cover. Then decrease the flame and cook gently for about 1 hour. Of course as usually you can simply use stock cubes making all simpler and faster (but with some loss on a quality of food, as some say).
- In a meantime wash and peel vegetables and put them into the broth. Boil all together. At the end of cooking add spices: few peppercorns, bay leaf, black pepper and salt to taste.
- When broth with vegetable is on its way, melt some butter on a frying pan and fry 1 medium, diced onion. When onion begins to brown add chopped or crushed garlic, mix precisely and still fry on a low fire for about 10 minutes.
- In this time wash cucumbers, peel and grate on a grater with big holes, so that what you get are stripes not too minuscule. Throw all cucumber stripes to garlic & onion – fry all together some minutes more. Then add this mixture to your broth.
- Now, peel potatoes, cut into small pieces (dices) and throw into the ogorkowa soup.
- Cook everything on a rather low fire until potatoes are soft and edible.
- Time to make a suspension of flour with sour cream to (as they say in Poland) 'whiten' our cucumber soup. To do so simply mix 2 tablespoons of white flour and 100 ml of sour cream. You can also use tart yoghurt. Now slowly pour it into the soup, constantly and vigorously stirring. Mix precisely.
- Cook your soup for another few minutes, but do not let it to boil. Season ogorkowa soup with salt and black pepper according to your taste.
I hope that you find this ogorkowa - Polish cucumber soup recipe useful. Enjoy your meal! Smacznego! :)