Dill soup is one of traditional Polish soups - simple, showing the taste of a spring dill off. Therefore most tasty in spring and in the summer, when you can use fresh ingredients.
Not always, but usually dill soup is served as 'clean', i.e. after cooking we take soup vegetables (wloszczyzna) out of it. There are two equally popular ways of serving dill soup: one is with hard boiled eggs as an addition (just like in the case of sorrel soup), and second: batter dumplings / noodles (lane kluski in Polish). In my family, we choose eggs since ever. However, in many Polish homes dill soup is also being eaten with potatoes (cooked in the soup) or with rice.
Ingredients in this recipe:
- 1 large bunch of dill
- 0.5 kg of soup vegetables (wloszczyzna: parsley, celery, leek, carrots)
- 1 medium onion
- 200 ml sour cream or tart yoghurt
- 30 ounces of veal ribs or other meat with bone
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, pepper
- Prepare a veal stock with 2 litres of water. To the pot add 1 small onion during cooking the broth. Add greens and then rest of vegetables. If you want to have full-vegetable version of this soup, throw chopped vegetables after 20 minutes of meat cooking. If you want, however, to get rid of it and serve a clean soup, as it is usually prefered, throw all vegetables at the beginning.
- Add salt to taste. Now, cook the soup about 1 hour - until meat and vegetables will be soft.
- When broth is ready it is time for our dill. Cut very finely half of the bundle (the one closer to roots). Than fry it for 1-2 minutes on a hot pan and throw into the soup.
- Now, take the pot out from fire and remove meat.
- Mix cream with flour if you like a bit thicker soup. Pour few tablespoons of soup to the cream (so the cream does not coagulate after adding it to the hot soup). Then mix it all and pour to the pot with a dill soup.
- Slowly heat all together for the last time. Leave it for a moment to let all flavors merge.
- Now chop all remaining dill and throw directly into the pot. Mix the whole.
- Prepare batter dumplings of hard boiled eggs to be served with you dill soup.
I hope that you find this dill soup - zupa koperkowa recipe useful. Enjoy your meal! Smacznego! :)